EU Authorised Representative Services

  • Home
  • EU Authorised Representative Services

Online software for e-commerce and businesses outside the EU

If your business is based outside of the European Union, you need to have an EU authorised representative (EAR) to verify that your products are legally CE marked and allowed to be sold within the EU.

Regulation (EU) 2019/1020 on market surveillance comes into force on July 16, 2021, and requires one of the following:

  • EU importer
  • authorised representative
  • fulfilment service provider
The Regulation makes it illegal to place certain manufactured goods on the EU market unless there is a responsible EU economic operator for them. Non-EU businesses that currently sell directly to European end-users, without an EU economic operator being involved, are obligated from July 16 to have one in order to continue their operations in Europe.

Clever Representative can help you meet the requirements of the new Market Surveillance Regulation today, no matter your location. Access the digital self-service tool to solve your authorised representative issues quickly.

Get started
Quick and easy, as things should be
eu authorised representative services

How it works

1. Add product

We just need the basic information of the product, such as the name, brand, and model.

2. Declaration of Conformity

Upload a valid Declaration of Conformity in English. The system will automatically analyse it and validate it towards the requirements of a Declaration of Conformity. The relevant CE marking directives and standards will be automatically extracted.

3. Sign agreement

Ensure you have the documents required according to the directives. Then, simply e-sign the agreement and your product has Clever Representative as its authorised representative!

4. Start selling!

Show off your compliance! Download your authorised representative certificate and make sure to perform your responsibilities as specified, including keeping the technical documentation available within 5 days.

How can we support you?

Clever Representative has the authority to act as an EU authorised representative for your products and carry out several legal obligations for you so that you can sell your products into the EU directly, online or via a fulfilment service provider.

We have developed a modern digital self-service compliance tool where you can generate certificates in minutes, check your products' status and requirements, as well as storing and updating your Declaration of Conformity. And, if you need compliance or authority assistance, our team of experts is there for you.

Our digital EU authorised representative service includes the following elements:

Digital account

You get access to your personal user account in our system, where you can manage the validity of your certificates and verify the completeness of your technical documentation.

Authorised representative

We are your official point of contact for the European market surveillance authorities, and you can use our legal name and registered address within the EU.

Upload Declaration of Conformity

We ensure the availability of your Declaration of Conformity in case of requests from market surveillance authorities.

Compliance assistance

We verify the CE marking compliance of your products and whether your technical documentation meets all applicable European product safety requirements.

Authority assistance

We assist you in communication with the competent regulatory authority regarding the compliance of your products.


We provide you with an authentic certificate of representation for each of your products.

Listing on

We provide your clients with an easy and quick way to check the validity of your certificates
Get authorised representation today, no matter where you are located.

Do you need an EU authorised representative?

An EU authorised representative is mandatory for non-European e-commerce and other B2B or B2C businesses planning to sell products in the European Union. So, suppose you are an exporter or e-commerce seller of toys, electronics, or other products located outside the European Union. In that case, you need to have an EU authorised representative.
Our digital authorised representative service is beneficial to the following economic operators in the supply chain:
Producers from non-EU countries
Distributors and online traders
Importers into the European Union

What is our scope of service?

Clever Representative can act as an EU authorised representative for various product types, from simple personal protective equipment to electrical and electronic products to toys. Our authorised representative service applies to the following EU directives and regulations:
  • CPR - Regulation (EU) No 305/2011 on construction products
  • PPE - Regulation (EU) 2016/425 on personal protective equipment
  • NOISE - Directive 2000/14/EC on noise emission in the environment by equipment for use outdoors
  • BGF - Regulation (EU) 2016/426 on appliances burning gaseous fuels
  • TOY - Directive 2009/48/EC on the safety of toys
  • EcoDesign – Directive 2009/125/EC on ecodesign requirements for energy-related products
  • RoHS – Directive 2011/65/EU on the restriction of hazardous substances in electrical products
  • PYRO – Directive 2013/29/EU on pyrotechnic articles
  • RCPW – Directive 2013/53/EU on recreational craft and personal watercraft
  • SPV – Directive 2014/29/EU on simple pressure vessels
  • EMC – Directive 2014/30/EU regulating the electromagnetic compatibility of electrical products
  • NAWI – Directive 2014/31/EU on non-automatic weighing instruments
  • MID – Directive 2014/32/EU on measuring instruments
  • ATEX – Directive 2014/34/EU regulating equipment and protective systems for use in potentially explosive atmospheres
  • LVD – Directive 2014/35/EU on low-voltage equipment
  • RED – Directive 2014/53/EU on radio equipment
  • PED – Directive 2014/68/EU on pressure equipment

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an EU authorised representative?
An EU authorised representative is any natural or legal entity located within the EU who has received a written mandate from a non-EU manufacturer to act on the manufacturer’s behalf regarding specific tasks.
When do I need an EU authorised representative?
If your business is located outside of the EU, you need to have an EU Authorised Representative (EAR) to trade your product(s) in the European Union either directly, online (e-commerce) or through a fulfilment service provider. The latter applies for all products that fall under the scope of the EU harmonisation legislation, such as:
  • Electrical and electronic equipment
  • Construction products
  • Toys
  • Radio equipment
  • Pressure equipment
What is an EAR mandate?
An EAR mandate represents a written document providing a detailed summary of all the tasks an authorised representative has to perform about a specific product. It also includes information about the manufacturer's responsibilities, duties and rights, as well as information allowing the identification of the product it covers (for example, specific product name and model number).
What does an EAR do?
The EU authorised representative does at least the following legislative tasks on your behalf:
  • Ensures the availability of technical files and Declarations of Conformity
  • Cooperates with the national market surveillance authorities on preventive and corrective actions to eliminate any risks posed by the product
  • Delivers a copy of the EAR mandate to the national market authority upon request
Some European (CE marking) directives and regulations (e.g. MDD 93/42/EEC and MDR 2017/745) specify additional obligations for the European authorised representative:
  • Verifies that the CE marking symbol is correctly affixed to the product and its packaging
  • Forwards to the manufacturer any request made by a competent market authority for product samples or access to the product
  • Verifies compliance with specific registration and regulatory requirements
What is the EU Market Surveillance Regulation 2019/1020?
Coming into force in July 2021, the European Market Surveillance Regulation 2019/1020 focuses on market surveillance and conformity of products. It seeks to improve border controls, reduce the number of non-compliant goods in the internal market and establish equal competitive conditions for all businesses. The new Regulation applies to all goods subject to the EU harmonisation legislation unless the specific legislative act contains other market surveillance and enforcement provisions.
What is a fulfilment service provider?
A fulfilment service provider is any person or legal entity offering at least two of the following services: warehousing, packaging, addressing and dispatching, without owning the goods involved. An exemption is made for postal and courier firms.